Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Firestorm begins over Omaha street sign

I told you it would happen. The furor has begun to kick up in Omaha over the dastardly plan to prove to Christians that they are second-rate citizens by placing a commemorative street sign on a small portion of a minor street. Here's the clipping from this morning's Omaha World Herald.

Billy Graham? Seriously? Mother Theresa? And what first amendment rights of Christians have been violated? Last time I checked, it was the atheists that were worried about our Constitutional rights! People throw around the term "First Amendment rights" a little cavalierly, I don't think that a lot of them actually know what the first amendment is. This is what most people think the first amendment says:

I can do or say whatever I want. Those who disagree with me are attempting to violate my rights and are attacking me personally, as well as all that I hold dear. Any attempt to have a rational debate should be met with extreme hyperbole, or possibly violence.
--Signed, "The Founders"
P.S. We were all Christian and meant for this country to stay Christian for ever and ever, k thx.

This is what the first amendment actually says:

Amendment 1 - Freedom of Religion, Press, Expression.
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

I know it's subtle, but do you see the differences there?

The second guy may be even dumber than the first. Sure, we're not sweeping the nation, but we're not a "microscopic" minority! Wikipedia indicates that "most studies indicate that the non-religious make up about 12-15% of the world's population". And I thought muslin was a fabric, not a religion?

Luckily, the city council meets today and will swiftly vote down this attempt to create a godless democracy where a theocracy ought to be. HA!


1 comment:

  1. "Microscopic minority"? Gee, I almost thought that was Mike Huckabee talking for a second there.

    ReplyDelete

Planet Atheism

Planet Atheism - aggregating blogs by non-believers and freethinkers