Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Burning the village to save it?

"I've abandoned free-market principles to save the free-market system," Bush told CNN.



Seems to me that's awfully similar to the logic used in Vietnam, where it was said that "We had to burn the village in order to save it." In any case, it's quite a striking use of Orwellian doublethink- that is, holding two contradictory thoughts in one's head simultaneously, while believing them both to be true. Listen as he stammers some more:

"I feel a sense of obligation to my successor to make sure there is not a, you know, a huge economic crisis. Look, we're in a crisis now. I mean, this is -- we're in a huge recession, but I don't want to make it even worse."
I think he's trying to say that things are bad, and he knows that anything he does will probably make it worse, but he's going to try anyway! That's the kind of can-do attitude to be expected from a mediocre student cum worst-president-ever.

(source)

Also, try this surprisingly entertaining flash game where you throw virtual shoes at Bush.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Planet Atheism

Planet Atheism - aggregating blogs by non-believers and freethinkers