Monday, December 8, 2008

Censorship at Open Left?

This was posted on Open Left, earlier today:

I Have Just Unsubscribed To Obama's E-Mail List

First of all, I have been VERY VERY VERY incensed by Obama's flippant, dismissive, and almost contempt for liberals so far in his policy "changes" and statements since the campaign was over with.

Secondly, the lack of diversity in his Cabinet and advisors is dreadful. Only ONE token Hispanic, and he's not even a liberal, no openly gay person (no, Janet doesn't count, cus she's not open), and, most of all, no bona fide progressive.

When you press "unsubscribe" at the bottom of one of the deluge of emails Obama's team sends you, it prompts you to state your reasons for taking your email address off his list. So I did. And I listed the things written above.

I also told them (whichever flunky reads it...IF it even gets read), that I no longer support Obama, that I gave him over a grand in the campaign cycle, and that I consider him to be center-right at best. And that's not who or what I gave my money and time and efforts to.

He won't be getting my fucking money of my fucking vote in 2012.

Btw, our backlash MUST start in earnest NOW. Why? BECAUSE IF WE DON'T, THEN WE SURELY WON'T BE GETTING ANY TRUE PROGRESSIVES OF LATINOS OR ANYTHING ELSE BUT DEMOCONS TO HIS ADMINISTRATION!!! ONLY PUSSY "UNCLE TOM" LIBERALS HAVE THIS PUSSY-ASS, "WAIT-AND-SEE APPROACH."

I tried to click on the link from my reader, being certain some interesting stuff would be in the comments following such an incendiary post, but this is what I got. Followed in short order by this:
About the diary that disappered (Chris Bowers) Quick note and apology about the stupid diary that briefly appeared on the front-page:

Back when Open Left was started, posting Quick Hits required editor status. So, I promoted a bunch of people who had expressed interest in writing Quick Hits, under the condition that they not post front page diaries. The user in question was one of those early editor promotions. In this case, s/he broke his or her promise to not post on the front page.

Apologies to all.


And I understand that many of these blogs are trying to maintain "journalistic" standards, so I'm not necessarily mad at them for taking it down. I do think "avenged savant" had a valid point of view, one that is indisputably shared by many on the left. Further, the sense of betrayal in the post is almost palpable, and it's what I've been warning about since before the election. If you pin your hopes for change on a politician, especially one from the two indistinguishable major parties, then prepare to start removing the knife from your back. There is simply no way that your measly donation of "a grand" can compete with these types of donors. The real challenge is to keep this sense of betrayal from turning to apathy; we must learn to channel the frustration and anger at establishment politics into achieving our goals. But make no mistake about it: "our goals" will never be in alignment with Washington's goals.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Planet Atheism

Planet Atheism - aggregating blogs by non-believers and freethinkers